Sunday, January 13, 2008

We're Famous!

I have no idea how this has slipped past my attention for almost 2 months, but apparently my quaint little city of Ben Guerir is famous because of the nearby air force base which was also used as an alternative site for US space shuttle landings--supporting 83 shuttle missions. Cool!

Check it out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Guerir

This also reminds me of a little known fact I discovered while teaching a lesson on Morocco's independence day. In comparing the day with America's independence day, it was brought to my attention that the first country to EVER officially recognize the United States as an independent nation after the declaration of independence was, in fact, Morocco. And they haven't forgotten that fact around here.

So here's kudos to Morocco on it's independence day for helping us out with ours!

No comments: